Tuesday 14 August 2012

I'm not a Ninja - I'm a Product Samurai

The label "Ninja" is so overused right now. Not quite as bad as "Rock Star", but it must be close. I understand the need for redefining terminology in a new work environments,  but if we're going to be more creative in the way we describe ourselves, then let's actually be creative, rather than relying on the first two pop icons that spring to mind.

I'm definitely not a ninja. Relying more on my interpretation than historical accuracy, ninjas rely very heavily on individual skill, and are available for hire to the highest bidder. They don't take sides. Their only cause is themselves.

That describes a lot of programmers I know (:)), but as a Product Manager, that's not the type of role model I want, and not the type of label I'm going to give myself. 

Instead, I'm a Product Samurai!

Yes, I have skills, but I am nothing without my personal value system. I apply my skills with honour. I stand for something bigger than myself, and I never stand alone.

That sounds more like it. What's your alternative title? (And don't say rock star).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.