Wednesday 29 August 2012

Its all in the fine print

I noticed the fine print on a TV commercial this evening. I often do. In fact I've realised that while I'm listening to the voice over, I'm generally scanning the bottom of the screen for the weasel words that describe why the product really is too good to be true.

This one was simple though. It said "your local store may have heaps or none". I thought, that's great. It's says exactly what it needs to. No more, and no less. No weasel words at all.

I think it's becoming clear that as consumers we are so much less willing to be sold to, spun, and misdirected. Not that it still doesn't work. But most of the time there's just no point. When you tell a clever lie, you're actually wasting an opportunity to tell a clever truth. And you won't get a 2nd chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.